Story behind the lost of Baby YBS's Tail


One month ago, one of baby YBS had lost h/she tail. It is unpredictable accident where one of my RES, Riri climb out from her tank basking area and jump into baby YBS tank. It was like 9 days after I have the baby YBS and suddenly this 'big' traumatic accident happen to her/him. Poor little baby. Riri was excited watching this skittish baby turtle swimming around and intended chase the baby and bite the tail~! I can't stop the incident as I'm not around. From what I read, we cannot mix the big turtle and baby turtle together as the bigger/senior turtle will try to conquer the place and being a leader. Turtles are solidatary animal. They can live alone by their own without companion.

A picture show the bloody cut, near to the vent/cloaca.

Since it is first time accident happen to my turtles, I felt so terrible that time because I don't know what to do. Here, I don't have any good vet who can helps my baby as most vet in my state are specialize for cats and dogs only. For the mean time, I clean the cut with warm water and dry dock the baby. After few minutes, I put some natural sea cucumber oitment.

It took 2 weeks for my baby to fully recovered from the injury as the tail still swollen. To avoid infection from other baby turtle, I separate the baby in other container and put wet tissue as the bedding. The baby looks comfort and resting, sleeping all the time.




Sleeping and resting my little baby...


I know h/she still feel the pain but still want to bask~!

Its been a month after the incident and my baby doing great! H/she be able to swim and walk even without a tail. H/she also very skittish, playful, alert and very very cute. H/she also know how to 'begging dance' in front of me when h/she hungry. Its hard to believe that the tail can't grow back. But I know my turtle is strong to live with me. I will cherish h/she as long as I can and make the baby happy! I hope my baby will live happily ever after with me.

These is a pictures after a month and fully recovered from the injury.



7 comments:

DragonLord said...

so sad :(
i feel sorry for u...
my wishlist it's ur new turtle :)

~Turtles' Mummy said...

Hehehe.. Good Luck in finding the new turtle :)

Novroz said...

I didn't know you have a blog? shame on me!!

How is this little guy?? Does his tail grows back?

~Turtles' Mummy said...

Hehe.. I didn't publish my blog to public.. dats why not many people know =P hehe.. but I do put in RES Forum profile.. hehe. Therefore not enough space to write down the add in signature because too many turtles to mention about.. hehe

Anyway my little guy doing great~! Thank for update about my baby. The tail can't grow back. Steve already confirmed me on dat =( but i'm okay as long as the turtle can live happy with me =P~!

Novroz said...

hehehe I don't put my blog in my signature either, I put my gallery in there:)

Ow too bad, why won't it grows back? all reptile do! But I guess it'll make him special and different than the others hehe.

~Turtles' Mummy said...

Is it all reptiles can grow any part of their body? I think depends on what kind of reptiles.. I dunno, but Steve said dat, the tail can't grow back. Maybe turtle not like lizard =P hehe...

cY said...

I'm a mother of 3 terrapins. It's fun to read your blog, like it very much. I have 1 female & 1 male (GeeGee&PeePee)which I bought from Carrefour. At start I put them together in same tank, but later I found that PeePee biten off GeeGee's tail. I was panic. Then my colleague told me her turtles fight and bite the shell!!! Immediately I bought another tank to separate them. Yes, it's exactly look like yours. They are quite aggresive, unless you have a huge tank to put lots of stones & plants for to hide, or they sure will bite each other. Later I addopted another male (DeeDee)from my sister's colleague when they move out of country to work.